Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Creating brings Joy




I read a really great talk by Richard G. Scott this week titled "Finding Joy in Life". One of my favorite quotes from the talk was this: 

"Attempt to be creative for the joy it brings. After their noble husbands were called home, Sisters Camilla Kimball, Amelia McConkie, and Helen Richards learned to paint. They not only leave legacies of art, but they will never see a sunset, a face, or a tree the same again. They now perceive subtle nuances of color and form and rejoice in the abounding beauty around them.
Select something like music, dance, sculpture, or poetry. Being creative will help you enjoy life. It engenders a spirit of gratitude. It develops latent talent, sharpens your capacity to reason, to act, and to find purpose in life. It dispels loneliness and heartache. It gives a renewal, a spark of enthusiasm, and zest for life."
A wise older friend of mine, who has raised 7 children, told me that to get through the rough years of when her kids were little and life was constantly a process of undoing all the living that had been done that day, she said "I tried to do something every day that was permanent, like sew, or journal, or make something". 
I thought that was such great advice. And after reading this talk last night, I decided to pull out the BIG Digital SLR, which feels so huge compared to my i-phone now, and do a photo shoot of Ruby. My goal was to capture her sweet, soft expressions, her smooth baby skin, and the light in her eyes. I was a little rusty, but it didn't matter. I created something. Immediately after the photo shoot, I felt that rush of excitement you get, when you just can't wait to look at the photos. It's like Christmas. I knew I had kids to pick up from school, and dinner to make, and kids to get off to music lessons, and bathe, and clean up, but I also knew that once that was done I got to edit photos and swoon over sweet Ruby pictures. It got me through the chaos. 
I love photography for lots of reasons, but my favorite reason is that it makes the moments you love most stand still forever. Ruby is so wiggly these days that she hardly has a moment where she is still, but after she's asleep I can sit and look at these pictures and soak up her sweet face without any interruptions. Also, it doesn't squawk at me, like Ruby sometimes does. 
I love motherhood, accept for when I don't. Sometimes it's really hard. Sometimes it's overwhelming. Sometimes it's love and joy and sweet satisfactions,but for the times that are rough, it feels so great to have a creative outlet that you can look forward to at the end of the day. 
What are your thoughts? What are your creative outlets? 

No comments:

Post a Comment